Importer Exporter Code Number
What is IEC Number
Importer and Exporter Code (IEC Code) is mandatory to Import or Export goods in India, No person or entity shall make any Import or Export activities without IEC Code Number. IEC Code is unique 10 digit code issued by DGFT – Director General of Foreign Trade , Ministry of Commerce, Government of India to Indian Companies.
IEC Code No Notification
Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) issued a Policy Circular No.15 (RE-2006)/2004-2009 Date: 27th July, 2006) for New System for issuance of Importer-Exporter Code Number.
Eligibility and Conditions for IEC Code Number
Ministry of Commerce has given the Eligibility condition and Legal Provisions IEC Code Number Application in Foreign Trade (Regulation) Rules, 1993 Ministry of Commerce, Notification No. GSR 791 (E), dated 30-12-1993.
Application for getting an IEC Number
An application for getting IEC number shall be made by the Registered/Head Office of the applicant and apply to the nearest Regional Authority of Directorate General Foreign Trade, the Registered office in case of company and Head office in case of others, falls in the ‘Aayaat Niryaat Form – ANF2A’ and shall be accompanied by documents prescribed therein. In case of STPI/ EHTP/ BTP units, the Regional Offices of the DGFT having jurisdiction over the district in which the Registered/ Head Office of the STPI unit is located shall issue or amend the IECs.
Only one IEC would be issued against a single PAN number. Any proprietor can have only one IEC number and in case there are more than one IECs allotted to a proprietor, the same may be surrendered to the Regional Office for cancellation.
IEC Code Online Application Form
The application can be download Form in PDF or Word. This is called “Aayaat Niryaat Form – ANF2A“. Along with IEC Code Number Application Form it is necessary to submit Appendix-18B Attested by Applicant’s Banker in his letter head with two passport size photo).
Duplicate Copy of IEC Number
Where an IEC Number is lost or misplaced, the issuing authority may consider requests for grant of a duplicate copy of IEC number, if accompanied by an affidavit.
Surrender of IEC Number
If an IEC holder does not wish to operate the allotted IEC number, he may surrender the same by informing the issuing authority. On receipt of such intimation, the issuing authority shall immediately cancel the same and electronically transmit it to DGFT for onward transmission to the Customs and Regional Authorities.
Validity of IEC Code No
An IEC number allotted to an applicant shall be valid for all its branches/divisions/units/factories.
Application Fee For IEC Code Number
For fresh application of IEC Number a fee of Rs 500/- and for modification in IEC number a fee of Rs 200/- will be applicable.
Mandatory Requirements to apply for IEC Code Number
- Covering letter
- Fill Part A, B & D of the application form.
- Application must be accompanied by documents as per details given below:
3.1 Bank Certificate from the bank on Bank letter head as per proforma (Part B) given in the application.
a. In case of Proprietorship firms, please furnish
i) Date of Birth of individual
ii) Number of IECs held along with their details
b. In case of Companies, please furnish
i) Extract of Board of Resolution.
ii) MOA with Form 32 and ROC in case of change in Directors.
c. In case of others
i) Notorised Partnership Deed showing date of formation.
ii) No Objection Certificate from other partners/HUF.
3.2 Self certified copy of Permanent Account Number (PAN) issued by income Tax Authorities.3.3 Two copies of passport size photographs of the applicant. The photograph pasted on the banker’s certificate must be attested by the banker with Seal and Signature of the applicant.
- The application must be submitted in Duplicate.
- Each individual page of the application must be signed by the applicant.
- Self addressed envelope stamped with Rs. 25 (Local Address) & for others Rs.30/-. These documents may be kept secured in a file cover.
Check List of Documents to apply for IEC Code
- Covering Letter on your company’s letter head for issue of new IEC Code Number.
- Two copies of the application in prescribed format ( Aayaat Niryaat Form – ANF2A) must be submitted to your regional Jt.DGFT Office.
- Each individual page of the application has to be signed by the applicant.
- Part 1 & Part 4 has to be filled in by all applicants. In case of applications submitted electronically.
- No hard copies of Part 1 may be submitted. However in cases where applications are submitted otherwise, hard copy of Part 1has to be submitted.
- Only relevant portions of Part 2 need to be filled in.
- Rs 250.00 Bank Receipt (in duplicate)/Demand Draft/EFT details evidencing payment of application fee in terms of Appendix 21B.
- Certificate from the Banker of the applicant firm in the format given in Appendix 18A.
- Self certified copy of PAN issuing letter or PAN (Permanent Account Number) Card issued by Income Tax Authority.
- Two copies of passport size photographs of the applicant duly attested by the Banker of the applicant.
- Self addresses envelope with Rs.25/- postal stamp for delivery of IEC certificate by registered post or challan/DD of Rs.100/- for speed post.
Exempted Categories from IEC Number
The following categories of importers or exporters are exempted from obtaining Importer – Exporter Code (IEC) number:
- Importers covered by clause 3 (1) [except sub-clauses (e) and (l)] and exporters covered by clause 3(2) [except sub-clauses (i) and (k)] of the Foreign Trade (Exemption from application of Rules in certain cases) Order, 1993.
- Ministries/Departments of the Central or State Government.
- Persons importing or exporting goods for personal use not connected with trade or manufacture or agriculture.
- Persons importing or exporting goods from/to Nepal provided the CIF value of a single consignment does not exceed Indian Rs.25,000.
- Persons importing or exporting goods from/to Myanmar through Indo-Myanmar border areas provided the CIF value of a single consignment does not exceed Indian Rs.25,000.However, the exemption from obtaining Importer-Exporter Code (IEC) number shall not be applicable for the export of Special Chemicals, Organisms, Materials, Equipments and Technologies (SCOMET) as listed in Appendix- 3, Schedule 2 of the ITC(HS)
- Except in the case of exports by category(ii) above.
- The following permanent IEC numbers shall be used by the categories of importers/ exporters mentioned against them for import/ export purposes..
|S.No||Code Number||Categories of Importers / Exporters|
|1||0100000011||All Ministries / Departments of Central Government and agencies wholly or partially owned by them.|
|2||0100000029||All Ministries / Departments of any State Government and agencies wholly or partially owned by them.|
|3||0100000037||Diplomatic personnel, Counselor officers in India and officials of UNO and its specialised agencies.|
|4||0100000045||Indians returning from / going abroad and claiming benefit under Baggage Rules.|
|5||0100000053||Persons / Institutions / Hospitals importing or exporting goods for personnel use, not connected with trade or manufacture or agriculture.|
|6||0100000061||Persons importing / exporting goods from /to Nepal|
|7||0100000070||Persons importing / exporting goods from /to Myanmar through Indo-Myanmar border areas|
|9||0100000096||Importers importing goods for display or use in fairs / exhibitions or similar
events under provisions of ATA carnet This IEC number can also be used by
importers importing for exhibitions/fairs as per Para 2.29 of HBPv1.
|10||0100000100||Director, National Blood Group Reference Laboratory, Bombay or their authorized offices.|
|11||0100000126||Individuals / Charitable Institution /Registered NGOs importing goods,
which have been exempted from Customs duty under Notification issued by Ministry of Finance for bonafide use by victims affected by natural calamity.
|12||0100000134||Persons importing / exporting permissible goods as notified from time to time, from / to China through Gunji, Namgaya Shipkila and Nathula ports,
subject to value ceilings of single consignment as given in Para 2.8(iv) above.
|13||0100000169||Non-commercial imports and exports by entities who have been authorized by Reserve Bank of India.|
Note: Commercial Public Sector Undertaking (PSU) who have obtained PAN will however be required to obtain Importer Exporter Code number. The permanent IEC number as mentioned above, shall be used by non-commercial PSUs.
View Your IEC Status : http://dgft.delhi.nic.in:8100/dgft/iecprint
IEC Status at Custom(BIN) : http://22.214.171.124/iecstatus.html
DGFT Zonal Office New Delhi :- IEC Help contact
PBX No. Tel-011-23379111, 23379112, 23379113
e-mail : email@example.com
Public Relation Officer : Tel-011- 23378740